ST. LOUIS, Oct. 29 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ — Charter Communications, Inc. (Nasdaq: CHTR) today announced the appointment of Christopher L. Winfrey to Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer. Beginning November 1, 2010, Mr. Winfrey will be responsible for all of Charter’s financial functions, including accounting, financial planning and analysis, tax, and treasury, as well as mergers and acquisitions, capital structure activities and investor relations.
Mr. Winfrey most recently served as Chief Financial Officer and Managing Director for Unitymedia, Germany‘s second-largest provider of media and communications services via broadband cable. Mr. Winfrey has also held leadership and finance positions with Cablecom and NTL Europe, assuming a key role in the operational turnaround, triple-play services rollout and capital markets development at these companies over the last decade.
"Chris’ experience across different broadband market structures and competitive environments in Europe is a strong complement to Charter’s leadership team," said Michael Lovett, Charter’s President and CEO. "He possesses a great depth of industry knowledge and financial expertise that will be invaluable as we position the Company for future growth. I would also like to extend my gratitude to Kevin Howard, whose commitment to Charter and willingness to act as interim Chief Financial Officer – in addition to his role as Chief Accounting Officer – gave us the flexibility and time to find the right candidate."
Mr. Winfrey said, "I feel fortunate to be joining the Charter organization, which places a high priority on operational execution and financial discipline. I look forward to continuing to build on the Company’s recent successes."
Mr. Winfrey received a Bachelor of Science in Accounting and a Master of Business Administration, both from the University of Florida.
Charter is a leading broadband communications company and the fourth-largest cable operator in the United States. Charter provides a full range of advanced broadband services, including advanced Charter TV™ video entertainment programming, Charter Internet™ access, and Charter Phone™. Charter Business® similarly provides scalable, tailored, and cost-effective broadband communications solutions to business organizations, such as business-to-business Internet access, data networking, business telephone, video and music entertainment services, and wireless backhaul. Charter’s advertising sales and production services are sold under the Charter Media® brand. More information about Charter can be found at charter.com.
CAUTIONARY STATEMENT REGARDING FORWARD-LOOKING STATEMENTS
This release includes forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended (the "Securities Act"), and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended (the "Exchange Act"), regarding, among other things, our plans, strategies and prospects, both business and financial. Although we believe that our plans, intentions and expectations reflected in or suggested by these forward-looking statements are reasonable, we cannot assure you that we will achieve or realize these plans, intentions or expectations. Forward-looking statements are inherently subject to risks, uncertainties and assumptions, including, without limitation, the factors described under "Risk Factors" from time to time in our filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission ("SEC"). Many of the forward-looking statements contained in this release may be identified by the use of forward-looking words such as "believe," "expect," "anticipate," "should," "planned," "will," "may," "intend," "estimated," "aim," "on track," "target," "opportunity," "preliminary," "tentative", "positioning," and "potential," among others. Important factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from the forward-looking statements we make in this release are set forth in other reports or documents that we file from time to time with the SEC, and include, but are not limited to:
- our ability to sustain and grow revenues and cash flows from operating activities by offering video, high-speed Internet, telephone and other services to residential and commercial customers, and to maintain and grow our customer base, particularly in the face of increasingly aggressive competition, the need for innovation and related capital expenditures and the difficult economic conditions in the United States;
- the impact of competition from other distributors, including but not limited to incumbent telephone companies, direct broadcast satellite operators, wireless broadband providers, and digital subscriber line ("DSL") providers and competition from video provided over the Internet;
- general business conditions, economic uncertainty or downturn, high unemployment levels and the significant downturn in the housing sector and overall economy;
- our ability to obtain programming at reasonable prices or to raise prices to offset, in whole or in part, the effects of higher programming costs (including retransmission consents);
- our ability to adequately deliver customer service;
- the effects of governmental regulation on our business;
- the availability and access, in general, of funds to meet our debt obligations, prior to or when they become due, and to fund our operations and necessary capital expenditures, either through (i) cash on hand, (ii) cash flows from operating activities, (iii) access to the capital or credit markets including through new issuances, exchange offers or otherwise, especially given recent volatility and disruption in the capital and credit markets, or (iv) other sources and our ability to fund debt obligations (by dividend, investment or otherwise) to the applicable obligor of such debt; and
- our ability to comply with all covenants in our indentures and credit facilities, any violation of which, if not cured in a timely manner, could trigger a default of our other obligations under cross-default provisions.
All forward-looking statements attributable to us or any person acting on our behalf are expressly qualified in their entirety by this cautionary statement. We are under no duty or obligation to update any of the forward-looking statements after the date of this release.
SOURCE Charter Communications, Inc.